Moving to gMail from Level 9
It will take up to 48 hours before mail starts going to Google. I would recommend that for now you set only 1 of your email address to start trying to get mail from the google servers. Once that address is getting the mail, it's safe for everyone to make the change.
MacMailThe change in your email settings is very easy:
- open your mail client preferences.
- select the "Accounts" tab
- click the email account you currently get from the Level 9 server to edit it
- in the "incoming mail server" change it to pop.gmail.com
- in the "User Name" field change the "+" sign to an "@" sign. (e.g. stuart+stuartgreen.net changes to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- In the "Password" field, enter the password you were just sent from Google, or if you've already changed it at Google, enter the password you changed it to.
- In the "Outgoing Mail Server" dropdown, select "Edit SMTP Server List".
- For name, enter "Google SMTP"
- For "Server Name" enter smtp.gmail.com
- Click the "Advanced" button
- Select "User custom port" and enter 465
- Check "User secure sockets layer"
- Select Authentication: Password
- in "Username" enter your email address
- In password, enter the password you were just sent from Google, or if you've already changed it at Google, enter the password you changed it to.
- Click OK to close the SMTP server window
- Back on the main account window, click the "Advanced" button"
- In the "Port" field, enter 995 and check the "Use SSL" checkbox
- Up at the very top of the Preferences window click "General" and SAVE YOUR SETTINGS.
If you currently have POP and you want to change to IMAP, you'll have to disable your current account and create a new account as IMAP with the same settings noted above.
You can find more information and video tutorials here
If you need to change your MX records somewhere, instructions are here, but usually Level 9 will do this for you if you're currently hosting your email with us.
That's it. Please pass these instructions along to your staff.